Tuesday, July 23, 2013

cabing building part 59...

 so for the last 12 months my dad has been asking when are you gonna put stairs up to the cabin, I had build temporary ones which my parents didn't like cause they were not the most stable, so here we are a year later and ready to build the stairs and deck.  lucky for me my dad's tractor was in the shop and he was able to help me, which was a huge blessing cause I swear this was harder to build than the rest the cabin.  haha. 
 in order to stay with in my "no permit" we had to build it not touching the cabin, it is about 1/2 inch away from the front cabin wall. 

 the base is now level


 OUCH!!!! my dad hit his hand while trying to take a nail out.  (glad it wasn't me, sorry dad)


 cj came to check on us and I, well I put a tool in his hand.  thank you cj for your inspiration to keep on keeping on, even when it hurts and everything feels really hard. 
 I had salvaged some rino decking from kellee bates family (THANK YOU SO MUCH) and we literally had 1/2 a board left.  good thing we did our calculations right. 
 ever feel "BOXED IN" 
 once the top was in place I had to be under the deck to secure the stairs.  let me tell you there is not a lot of room under here. 
 looking so good. 
 finished in the nightlight with my headlamp on. 
tired and exhausted but very excited.  (more pics on deck in a second)
 the next morning I was up and at work at 7 am.  dad had asked a guy that is selling his business if he would gift me some gravel and he said YES!!! so here I was ready with my shovel in hand to go to work.  I found out really fast that shoveling gravel by hand and YUCKING it into the trailer is not my idea of a good time, but I kept at it. 
 when I got home I laid some black plastic under the deck to spread the gravel on. 
 also added some gravel at the front of the stairs
 and under the deck as well.  now for the fun part.  my plan is to use some more of my free barn wood and put it on vertically.
 I think it looks really good. 
 time to relax for a minute.   as I sat here I was trying to figure out the best way to build a platform under the deck.  I figured I would need to make it outside, but that decking is so heavy I knew I wouldn't be able to get it under there by myself and so I put my brain to work.  I figured out if I built the frame of the platform and put that on some 2X6 's I could work a little and than slide it in as I went so it wasn't too heavy to get in there, and then I could just use a lever to get the boards out and the platform would be in place.  now to see if that works.

 it is working perfectly. 
 dad came over to stand on the lever so I could then work the 2x6's out.  wow it worked GREAT!
mom cam to chill on the deck with me. 
thank you dad for all your hard work on this.  I would still be trying to figure out the stairs. 

No comments: